Located approximately 5 kilometres northeast of Brisbane CBD is an inner suburb called Windsor. Windsor can be accessed via the Bowen bridge and Lutwyche Road which paved the way to its massive development during the mid-1800s. Subdivisions were built in the suburb in the 1870s.
The area used to be governed by the Ithaca divisional board in 1880, the same board that governed an area extending westwards from the Sandgate Road in Nundah, towards the foothills of D’Aguilar Range in The Gap, Toowong. It wasn’t called Windsor at the time.
The district was removed from Ithaca and was named Windsor Shire after Windsor Castle in Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee reign in 1887. Spanning 10.5 sq. km, Windsor Shire was generally surrounded by Enoggera Road, Enoggera/Breakfast Creek, Sandgate Road, Bonney Road and back to Kedron Brook. Suburbs in the Shire include parts of Albion, Wooloowin, Alderley and the suburbs of Lutwyche, Newmarket, Grange, Wilston and, of course, Windsor.
Windsor is dotted with parklands on its southern border and the Memorial Park with a war memorial. A third larger reservoir was put up to accommodate the rapid population growth in 1930. A stunning view of Brisbane as well as the Glass House Mountains and Victoria Point can be seen from Eildon Hill. It was where Eildon house was built by George Wight in 1863.
Lutwyche Road is lined with local shops. There are also the State and Catholic primary schools established in 1929, Anglican, Catholic and Uniting churches and a bowling club in the Memorial Park.
Population: 6,389 (2011 census)
Age Median: 33
- Married in a Registered Marriage – 37.59%
- Married in a De Facto Marriage – 13.33%
- Not Married – 49.08%
Supply and Demand
- Current Vacancy Rate – 4.57%
- Rental Stock Available – 119
- Rental Population – 48.43%
Median House Price: $843,000
Median Unit Price: $381,000
Suburb’s Median Rent (Weekly):
- $495 (House)
- $380 (Unit)
- Train – The Windsor railway station allows access from Ferny Grove, Beenleigh and Brisbane to the regular Queensland Rail City network.
Schools In and Around Windsor
- Windsor State School – 40 Harris St, Windsor, QLD, 4030
- Holy Rosary School – 22 Grafton St, Windsor, QLD, 4030
- St Margaret’s Anglican Girls School – Ascot, QLD, 4007
- Kedron State High School – 34 Park Rd, Wooloowin, QLD, 4030
- Kelvin Grove State College – L’Estrange Tce, Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059