Taringa, which got its name from an Aboriginal word that describes stones, is a residential suburb 5 kilometres south-west of central Brisbane. Except for a small section of commercial buildings along Moggill Road, Taringa consists mostly of residential houses and units. A lot of the members of its population are students as it is conveniently close to universities, such as the Queensland University of Technology and the University of Queensland.
Taringa became home for students following the transfer of the higher learning to St. Lucia after the war. There are lots of modern interwar homes that can be seen on the slopes of the suburb. New structures have also been built such as the Alliance Hall and the Anglican and Methodist churches.
In the 70s towards the end of the 90s, new houses were built in Taringa Road and McCaul Street, dragging the tradition of timber Queenslander in. What drew people to Taringa was its close proximity to public transport, shopping centres, universities and the CBD.
Population: 7,176 (2011 census)
Age Median: 29
- Married in a Registered Marriage – 32.65%
- Married in a De Facto Marriage – 11.50%
- Not Married – 55.84%
Supply and Demand
- Current Vacancy Rate – 5.36%
- Rental Stock Available – 168
- Rental Population – 50.61%
Median House Price: $950,000
Median Unit Price: $420,000
Median Median Rent (Weekly): $500 (House), $380 (Unit)
Bus – The bus service is provided by the Brisbane Transport buses to the Brisbane CBD, Long Pocket, Kenmore, Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly and Chancellor’s Place at St. Lucia.
Road – Moggill Road and Swann Road are the main roadways in Taringa.
Train – The Taringa Station allows travel to Ipswich and the Brisbane CBD. It is on the Ipswich and Rosewood railway line and is part of the Queensland Rail City network.
Schools In and Around Taringa
- Milpera State High School – Chelmer, QLD 4068
- Brigidine College – Indooroopilly, QLD 4068
- Ambrose Tracey College – Indooroopilly, QLD 4068
- Indooroopilly State High School – Indooroopilly, QLD 4068
- Brisbane Boys’ College – Toowong, QLD, 4066