The first settlers arrived in Norman Park in 1853. Around that time, brooms, leather and dairying were among the leading industries in the suburb.
At the beginning, the suburb’s development was slow and even almost stunted especially after the 1893 Brisbane floods. A wide-ranging reclamation of land in the 1940s and 50s paved the way to the creation of playing fields and parks.The suburb’s industrial development escalated after the 2nd World War due to the mass construction of public housing.
Norman Park connected the steam tram service from Queensland Government Railway to Belmont between 1912 and 1926. It was originally operated by the Belmont Shire Council but was suspended in 1924, reinstated by Brisbane City Council the following year, and suspended again the year after.
Population: 6,003 (2011 census)
Age Median: 33
- Married in a Registered Marriage – 46.05%
- Married in a De Facto Marriage – 13.70%
- Not Married – 40.25%
Supply and Demand
- Current Vacancy Rate – 3.92%
- Rental Stock Available – 88
- Rental Population – 37.95%
Median House Price: $805,500
Median Unit Price: $495,000
Median Rent (Weekly)
Suburb’s Median Rent – $520 (House), $390 (Unit)
Train – The trains operate at a 15-minute off-peak frequency, with a higher peak period frequency on weekdays and a 30-minute frequency on weekends which is lower.
Bus – There are three radial bus corridors that pass through Norman Park.
- Wynnum Road corridor (north) – This corridor is serviced by three bus routes that travel between the eastern suburbs and the Brisbane CBD.
- The Stanley Street East-Canara Street-Crown Street-Bennetts Road corridor (centre) – serviced by an all-stops bus route that travels between the Brisbane CBD and the eastern suburbs as well as the Cannon Hill Shopping Centre bus station.
- The Stanley Street East-Milsom Street-McIlwraith Avenue corridor (south) – serviced by an all-stops bus route that travels between the Brisbane CBD and Cannon Hill Shopping Centre bus station.
Ferry – In Wynnum Road, north of the suburb, is where the Norman Park Ferry Terminal is located. It has direct access to the New Farm Ferry Terminal.
- Norman Park Primary
- Norman Park State School