Your rental property can be subject to mould after floods, storms and natural disasters and unfortunately, it can stay within a property long after the water has receded.
If you have experienced heavy rains in your area and your home was flooded or impacted by water, there is a high chance that you may encounter mould problems. Mould thrives in damp, poorly ventilated areas, so it is crucial to act fast to prevent its spread after water damage. Mould growth occurs within 24-48 hours of water exposure and can take hold of your home if left untreated within 12 days.
If you have been affected by a flood, once waters have receded, open the doors and windows to air out the house. Once reliable, safe power is restored, use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out the house. Wear protective clothing, such as sturdy, closed-toe shoes, loose long-sleeved shirts, pants, rubber gloves, face masks and eye protection.
Remove all wet or flood-damaged items, including wallpaper, plasterboard, carpet and rugs. If you can’t get rid of damaged carpeting right away, remove water from it with a carpet extractor or vacuum.
Clean and disinfect all surfaces inside the house, including floors, walls, kitchen, bathroom and laundry.
You can identify the presence of mould if there is a persistent musty odour that fills the entire space in your home. Dark spots or discolouration are clear signs of mould. You may notice peeling paint and cracking on walls, which are signs of water damage.
As soon as signs of mould build up are noticed, it should be dealt with immediately before it grows into a much bigger and costlier problem. Both Landlords and tenants are expected to coordinate with each other in order to resolve any issues regarding mould. Contact a professional mould specialist if you are concerned about significant mould issue.
For more property management tips and news, check out our videos www.rentalresults.com.au/videos