Chermside is located 11 km north of the Brisbane CBD. A residential suburb on Gympie Road, it is home to the largest Westfield shopping centre in the whole of Australia – Westfield Chermside. The suburb is fondly called a “mini-CBD” along with other suburbs like Carindale, Mount Gravatt and Indooroopilly.
Formerly known as Downfall Creek, Chermside used to be an agricultural area. Nearly all of its lots are around 15-20 acres and have been sold between 1865 and 1868. Close to the corner of Hamilton and Webster Roads, a German Quarter was put up by German settlers.
Fast forward to 1947, the recorded population reached nearly 4,500 and it was around the same time that the tramline extension opened in Chermside. The Queensland Housing Commission and the War Service Homes Commission built new houses in order to make room for the surge in population.
In 1952, the Brisbane Chest Hospital, specialising on patients with tuberculosis, was built a short way toward the end of the tram on the west. Then in 1959, a new hospital servicing chest conditions opened. It eventually started expanding to other services and was later given the name Prince Charles Hospital. Sharing its site is the Holy Spirit Private Hospital, an acute tertiary private Catholic hospital that was established in 2001.
Population: 8,170 (2011 census)
Age Median: 35
- Married in a Registered Marriage – 32.29%
- Married in a De Facto Marriage – 12.78%
- Not Married – 52.93%
Supply and Demand
- Current Vacancy Rate – 6.34%
- Rental Stock Available – 232
- Rental Population – 57.54%
Median House Price: $577,500
Median Unit Price: $397,500
Median Rent (Weekly):
Suburb’s Median Rent – $400 (House), $370 (Unit)
- Bus – In August 2009, the Northern Busway in the middle of Windsor and Royal Children’s Hospital was completed. In June 2012, a 3-kilometre extension of busway was added between Windsor and Kedron with the completion of a couple of busway stations at Kedron and Lutwyche and Airport Link.
Schools In and Around Chermside
- Geebung State School – 250 Newman Rd, Geebung, QLD, 4034
- Craigslea State School – Hamilton Rd, Chermside West, QLD, 4032
- Wavell State High School – 64 Telopia Ave, Wavell Heights, QLD, 4012
- Wavell Heights State Preschool – Kuran St, Chermside, QLD, 4032
- Aspley State School – Maundrell Tce, Aspley, QLD, 4034